Warren County occupies an area of 365 square miles. It ranks 9th in area and 19th in population among New Jersey's 21 counties. The Warren County SNAP-Ed office is located in Belvidere, NJ, the county seat, along the Delaware River.
- Total Population is 106,869 (July 1, 2015)
- Per capita income is $34,016 (2014)
- 8.3% of the population is below the poverty level (2014)
- 20.7% of the residents are under 18 years of age (July 1, 2015)
- 16.5% of the residents are over 65 (July 1, 2015)
- 90.4% White
- 8.7% Hispanic
- 4.7% African-American
- 3.0% Asian
- 0.2% American Indian or Alaska Native
- 0.1% Native Hawaiian or other PacificIslander
Target Area - Philipsburg
- Total Population 14,515 (July 1, 2015)
- Per capita income is $23,706 (2010-2014)
- 17.7% of the population is below the poversty level
USDA SNAP Participating Families
- 3,518 participating household (June 2016)
- 6,962 participating individuals (June 2016)
- 3,835 participating adults (June 2016)
- 3,127 participating children (Jue 2016)
Warren County SNAP-Ed Project
As result of the SNAP-Ed project, SNAP residents in Warren County will improve their behaviors in the areas of food security, dietary quality, food safety, fitness and food resource management/shopping, through participation in nutrition education that is behaviorally-focused, leaner-driven and outcome-based.
The SNAP-Ed project addresses the following needs for limited resource individuals i Warren County.
- Inability to have SNAP benefits and food budget last through the month.
- Limited food preparation and food storage facilities
- High reliance on convenience foods and fast food restaurants
- Limited nutrition and food safety knowledge
- High consumption of high fat foods and low consumption of fruits, vegetables and dairy products.
There is no EFNEP programming in Warren County.
- To promote the SNAP-Ed Project and its statewide mission.
- To increase food security through nutrition education programs to SNAP eligible adults resulting in improved dietary habits, food purchases and food preparation practices and improved eating behaviors
- To improve and increase collaboration among existing agencies that currently work with low-income audiences, other governmental agencies, nonprofit organizations and private enterprises to improve the nutrition education services available to SNAP program participants in Warren County
- To proved behaviorally-focused, learner-driven, outcome-based nutrition lessons to youth, adults and seniors
- To work with dietetic interns to contribute to the intern's professional development in the area of nutrition education for SNAP participants and to improve Warren County's SNAP-Ed outreach capabilities.
- Provide necessary training to staff/volunteers/dietetic interns who teach nutrition education classes to the targeted population
- To participate in community health fairs throughout Warren County to help increase nutrition awareness within the community
- To collaborate with local, municipal and county wide agencies to better coordinate SNAP services
- To collaborate with community partners in implementing policies, systems and environmental changes to make the healthy choice the easiest choice for SNAP individuals and families
The evaluation methodology which is used includes an overall measurement of the impact of nutrition education among the population of SNAP program participants. Pre and post surveys are collected and reported via the WebNEERS reporting system.
Belvidere United Methodist Church
Catholic Charities Diocese of Metuchen
Early Childhood Learning Center
Easter Seals New Jersey - Warren
Evangelical Free Church of Blairstown
Family Guidance Center of Warren County
Family Promise of Warren County
First Presbyterian Church Food Pantry
Joseph H. Firth Youth Center
Norwescap – Head Start/Early Head Start
Norwescap – Family Success Center
Norwescap Resident Opportunity & Self-Sufficiency Program
Phillipsburg Housing Authority
Phillipsburg Elementary School
Phillipsburg Primary School
Phillipsburg School Based Youth Services
State of New Jersey, Department of Children & Families
Trinity United Methodist Church
Warren County Division of Senior Services
Warren County Health Department
Zufall Health - Hackettstown
Catherine A. Gruenfelder, MS, RD
Warren County SNAP-Ed
Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Warreny County
165 County Road 519 South
Belvidere, NJ 07823
Phone: (908) 475-6503
Fax: (908) 475-6514