Population of 65,166 (2013 estimate)
Salem County is the least densely populated county in NJ, ranking 18th in overall health.
- 81.8% White persons (2012)
- 14.7% Black persons (2012)
- 0.5% American Indian and Alaska Native persons (2012)
- 1.0% Asian persons (2012)
- 7.4% Hispanic or Latino origin (2012)
- 2.0% Two or more races (2012)
- Per Capita Income $28,204 (2012)
- 11.2% of the population is below the poverty level (2013)
- 17% of the county's children are living in poverty.
USDA SNAP Participating Families
- 14,410 households (14,900 adults and 15,297 children) in Salem County are receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits (2013)
- 13% are food insecure
Salem County SNAP Project
The SNAP Project addresses the following needs for limited resource individuals in Salem County:
- Inability to have SNAP Benefits and food budget last throughout the month
- Limited food preparation and food storage facilities
- High reliance on convenience foods and fast food restaurants
- Limited nutrition and food safety knowledge
- High consumption of high fat foods and low consumption of fruits, vegetables and dairy products
- There is no EFNEP program in Salem County
- To promote the SNAP-Ed Project and its statewide mission.
- To increase food security through nutrition education programs to the SNAP eligible population, resulting in improved dietary habits, food purchase and food preparation practices and improved eating behaviors.
- To improve and increase collaboration among existing agencies that currently work with low-income audiences, other governmental agencies, nonprofit organizations and private enterprises to improve the nutrition education services available to food stamp program participants in Salem County.
- Market program in order to increase county network collaboration opportunities
- Provide nutrition education to participants
- Increase outreach to new participants
- The evaluation methodology, which is used, includes an overall measurement of the impact of nutrition education amongst the population of SNAP participants. The WebNEERS reporting system is used for Pre and Post Diet surveys.
RCE of Salem County
Salem County Department of Health
United Way of Salem County
RCE of Salem County
Salem County SNAP-Ed
51 Cheney Road Suite 1
Woodstown, NJ 08098
Phone: (856) 769-0090
Fax: (856) 769-1439