- 2006 (estimate) Census Bureau 562,335
- Per Capita Income (1999) $23,054
- 7.6% of the population is below the poverty level (2004)
- 94% White (2006)
- Minority population is primarily Hispanic and African-American
USDA SNAP Participating Families
- 8,152 households in Ocean County are SNAP Program Participants
- According to the Ocean County SNAP Office, there were 18,994 people receiving SNAP benefits in April 2008.
- 43% of SNAP participants live in Dover Township or Lakewood.
Ocean County SNAP-Ed Project
The SNAP-Ed project addresses the following needs for limited resource individuals in Ocean County.
- Inability to have SNAP benefits and food budget last through the month
- Limited food preparation and food storage facilities
- High reliance on convenience foods and fast food restaurants
- Limited nutrition and food safety knowledge
- High consumption of high fat foods and low consumption of fruits, vegetables and dairy products
- There is no EFNEP programming in Ocean County
- To promote the SNAP-Ed Project and its statewide mission. To increase food security through nutrition education programs to the SNAP eligible population, resulting in improved dietary habits, food purchase and food preparation practices and improved eating behaviors.
- To improve and increase collaboration among existing agencies that currently work with low-income audiences, other governmental agencies, nonprofit organizations and private enterprises to improve the nutrition education services available to SNAP program participants in Ocean County.
- Market program in order to increase county network collaboration opportunities
- Provide nutrition education to participants
- Increase outreach to new participants
- The evaluation methodology, which is used, includes an overall measurement of the impact of nutrition education amongst the population of SNAP program participants. The ERS reporting system is used for Pre and Post Diet Recalls and Behavioral Checklists. Only the Behavioral Checklist is used in programs lasting less than 6 weeks. An evaluation report of the project will be submitted for possible publication in a peer reviewed Nutrition and/or Family and Consumer Sciences journal.
Lakewood School District
Ocean County Children's Shelter
Preferred Behavioral Health of NJ
RCE of Ocean County
Seaside Heights School District
Toms River Regional School District
WorkForce New Jersey
Angela D. Greene, Program Associate
Ocean County SNAP-Ed
RCE of Ocean County
1623 Whitesville Road
Toms River, NJ 08755
Phone: (732) 349-1247
Fax: (732) 505-8941