- 586,301 (2014 Census Bureau)
- Per Capita Income $30,477 (2009-2013)
- 10.4% of the population is below the poverty level (2009-2013)
- 92.9% White (2006)
- 85.0% White alone
- 8.9% Hispanic
- 3.5% Black of African American
- 1.3% Two or mor races
USDA SNAP Participating Families
- 23,173 households in Ocean County are SNAP Program Participants as of October 2015
- 62,665 individuals (27,455 adults and 35,200 children) were receiving SNAP benefits
Ocean County SNAP-Ed Project
The SNAP-Ed project addresses the following needs for limited resource individuals in Ocean County.
- Inability to have SNAP benefits and food budget last through the month
- Limited food preparation and food storage facilities
- High reliance on convenience foods and fast food restaurants
- Limited nutrition and food safety knowledge
- High consumption of high fat foods and low consumption of fruits, vegetables and dairy products
- There is no EFNEP programming in Ocean County
- To promote the SNAP-Ed Project and its statewide mission. To increase food security through nutrition education programs to the SNAP eligible population, resulting in improved dietary habits, food purchase and food preparation practices and improved eating behaviors.
- To improve and increase collaboration among existing agencies that currently work with low-income audiences, other governmental agencies, nonprofit organizations and private enterprises to improve the nutrition education services available to SNAP program participants in Ocean County.
- Market program in order to increase county network collaboration opportunities
- Provide nutrition education to participants
- Increase outreach to new participants
The evaluation methodology, which is used, includes an overall measurement of the impact of nutrition education amongst the population of SNAP program participants. The WebNEERS reporting system is used for Pre and Post surveys.
- The evaluation methodology, which is used, includes an overall measurement of the impact of nutrition education amongst the population of SNAP program participants. The WebNEERS reporting system is used for Pre and Post surveys.
Lakewood School District
Hugh J. Boyd Elementary School
South Toms River Elementary School
Preferred Behavioral Health of NJ
Ocean County PIC - WorkForce New Jersey
Ocean Monmouth Care, LLC
St. Francis Community Center
Angela D. Greene, Program Associate
Ocean County SNAP-Ed
RCE of Ocean County
1623 Whitesville Road
Toms River, NJ 08755
Phone: (732) 349-1247
Fax: (732) 505-8941